In 1957, the late Nana Boakye Yiadom Owusu II -- then the paramount Chief of Buoho Traditional Area -- appealed to the then Catholic Bishop of Kumasi, Most Rev. Bishop Paulisan, to establish a hospital in Berekum to cater for the health needs of the people in Berekum and Jaman Districts. There was no hospital in the area at that time. Nana's appeal was seriously considered by Bishop Paulisan and his overseas sponsors; following the approval of the appeal, the Medical Mission Sisters arrived in Ghana in 1948 and established the Holy Family Hospital at Berekum.
Soon, the hospital had grown and the Sisters became mindful of the importance of human resources for health, especially professional nurses for the hospital. They therefore advised the church to immediately establish a Nurses' Training School. As a result, Rev. Sr. Catherine (Patrick) Shean of the Medical Mission Sisters founded the Nursing School on 21st January, 1957. This was later followed by the establishment of a Midwifery Training School in 1964 by Rev. Sr. Rosemary Smith to produce midwives for the hospital. The two schools went through various stages of metamorphosis and maturity until they were weaned from the hospital and became autonomous in 1991.
The Nursing School initially prepared students for the Qualified Registered Nursing (QRN) programme, which was a three-year programme for students with the Middle School Leavers Certificate (MSLC). The curriculum at the time followed the syllabus set out by the Nurses' board for Ghana. The method of training for the QRN programme was mainly apprenticeship, with few hours of formal instruction. Those who successfully completed the QRN programme were duly registered with the Nurses' Board for Ghana. By the time the programme was phased out in 1971, the school had produced 89 QRN nurses - 79 females and 10 males.
The nursing tutors at the time included Sr. Mary Ann Tregoning, Sr. Joan Coughlin, Sr. Gerarda Conjin and Rose Kershbaumer.
Following the advice of the Nurses and Midwives' Council to improve the health care system in the country, the government terminated the policy on QRN training in 1968 and replaced it with the State Registered Nursing (SRN) training programme. The College, however, did not meet the requirements to start the SRN training at the time. So that the infrastructure would not lie idle, the Enrolled Nursing programme was started in 1969 with 19 students and continued until 1983, when it was also phased out. By 1983, the school had produced 289 Enrolled Nurses (222 females and 67 males). During this period the school recorded a 100% pass rate at the Final State Examinations, with many students excelling with credit and distinction in various subjects. The school had translated its motto "before you learn to care, you must care to learn" into action.
Since its establishment in 1957, the College has been administered by 19 principals:
|Founder, Tutors in Charge of Nursing||Dates|
|Sr.Francis (Headmaster)||2000-2012 (QRN)|
|Alice (Cephas) Hanks||1959-1971 (QRN Phased Out)|
|Sr. Joan Coughlin||1968-1971 (EN)|
|Mary Ann Tregoning (lay Volunteer)||1968-1972 (EN)|
|Sr. Gerarda Conijn||1972-1973 (EN)|
|Rose Kershbaumer (overall Director of Nursing - |
including Training Schools)
|Ms. Jane Dyne||1978-1984 (EN Phased Out)|
|Mrs. Margaret Nkrumah||1988 - (SRN Course Begun)|
|Lia Van Antwerpen||1991|
|Mr. Stephen Nabaale||1996-2001|
|Founder, Tutors in Charge /|
Some Midwifery Tutors
|Rani (Josepha) Nellikunnath|
Josephina (Joseph) Veehyanical
|Catherine (Patrick) Shean|
|Ms. Peggy Fitzgerald|
|Mr.Samuel Owusu( Accountant)|
|Sr. Molly Joseph Koottumkal|
|Merging of the two schools|
|The overall head - |
Sr. Molly J. Koottumkal
|Ms. Monica Nkrumah||2006 to date|
At the beginning of the school, the Rev. Sisters contributed immensely by providing administrative, educational and professional leadership to enable the few tutorial staff in the College to train nurses for the various health institutions in Ghana, particularly the mission hospitals.
At that time too, some of the State Registered Nurses from Roman Girls Hospital were engaged to teach at the Schools. They worked hand in hand with the Missionary nurses until one nurse (Ms. Jean Dyne) was sponsored by the Roman Girls Hospital for tutorship training at the University of Ghana, Legon. She was the first Ghanaian to be appointed as principal, and she took over the administration of the College from the Medical Mission Sisters in 1978 to 1984, at the time when EN was phased out.
In 1974, the hospital was handed over to the Diocese of Sunyani. The Medical Mission Sisters continued to work in the hospital and school, but the school was separated from the hospital and became autonomous in 1991.
In 1987, the school was elevated to the status of a college. Consequently, in August 1988, the first batch of 6 males and 6 females were admitted with O Level Certificates to pursue a three year programme leading to the award of State Registered Nursing (SRN). The Roman Girls Nursing and Midwifery Training College was then the only institution in the Brong-Ahafo Region at that time which trained qualified nurses.
In 1999, the school started the three-year Registered General Nursing (RGN) Diploma Programme, which ran concurrently with the SRN certificate course. The Diploma is a six-semesters programme. The first group of Diploma Students, admitted in 1999, sat for the REGISTERED GENERAL NURSING DIPLOMA EXAMINATION in March 2002.
In 1964, the Midwifery Training School was founded to train Qualified Registered Nurses as midwives and, later, to train Enrolled Nurses as midwives. A total of 485 midwives were trained under these two programmes.
In 1999, the Midwifery School was also elevated to the status of Post SRN Training School. This status remained until 2003. A total of 35 midwives have so far trained under this programme.
In 2003, the college started a three-year Registered Midwifery (RM) Diploma Programme with the help of the Nurses and Midwives Council (NMC) for Ghana and the Ministry of Health (MOH). This programme is at par with the Registered General Nursing (RGN) Diploma and has the same entry requirements.
In 2002, both Programmes were put under one administration with one head and two academic coordinators: an Academic Coordinator for Nursing, and an Academic Coordinator for Midwifery. The College runs both the Nursing and Midwifery programmes side by side, sharing the same facilities.
Since its inception, the college has produced 754 general nurses and 575 midwives - a total of 1,329 nurses and midwives.
Since the introduction of the Registered General Nursing Diploma in 1999, the College has been working conscientiously with the Ministry of Health and the Nurses & Midwives' Council for Ghana to get the College accredited by the National Accreditation Board as a diploma awarding institution. As a result, the National Accreditation Board visited the College in 2004 to assess the physical facilities. In 2005, the Accreditation Commitee granted the College a 3-year Authorization with effect from 1st September 2005 to continue with preparations for accreditation. In 2007, the Ministry of Health signed the Memorandum of Understanding with the College of Health Sciences; University of Ghana to get all the Nursing Training Colleges, including the Berekum Nursing and Midwifery Training College, affiliated to the School of Nursing to facilitate the award of academic diploma to the graduates. On Oct. 4th, 2007, the National Accreditation Board approved and granted a 3-year Accreditation for the running of the college's two programmes, effective Sept. 1st, 2007.
This page was last updated on Monday, 03 August, 2015